Friday, August 2, 2013

50 Harbor Street by Debbie Macomber

by

Aug 02, 20 13  

Read from July 30 to August 02, 2013

Debbie Macomber is a good storyteller who creates characters that are real and that readers care about. Although the book focuses mainly on the McAfee's, there are numerous subplots going on as she has done with all the previous books in the series. Macomber will focus on one set of characters in one chapter, another set in the next chapter, yet another set in the next and so on throughout the book which can be confusing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for which character is featured. I often had to flip back to see what had happened several chapters back. There is a character guide in the front of the book, which is helpful. With so many characters, Macomber does an amazing job of continuity through all the books (this is the fifth in an ongoing series), even referencing things in past books.

In this book, 2 new characters are introduced and I found them both to be trouble and obnoxious. I was happy to see that the mystery that was plaguing Roy and Corrie McAfee in the previous book was finally solved. I had a feeling who the mysterious person involved was and I was right.

I felt sorry for Maryellen and Jon with all the troubles they were having but hopefully the solution to them will help Jon reunite with his parents in the next book.

I felt so bad for Justine and Seth because all their dreams were destroyed by a punk. To think Allison, who is in high school, was in love with this loser. What is wrong with her?

I was happy to see that Grace and Cliff finally got their heads together and got married.

I can go on with my thoughts about the other relationships but I think I will stop here. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

1 comment: