Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio

by
 

5 of 5 stars false
Read from February 21 to 24, 2013

Blackberry Winter has a little bit of everything, historical fiction, mystery and romance. The story is told from two different time periods, that of a young single mother Vera and her son Daniel in Seattle in 1933 during the Great Depression and Claire Aldridge, a reporter in Seattle in 2010. The ‘blackberry winter’ which occurred in both 1933 and 2010 leads Claire to uncover the story of Daniel’s disappearance when he was three years old.

I found this book was a quick and easy read. The plot pulled me in right from the beginning with some twists along the way that I didn’t expect, especially the one at the end that pulls both stories together. The format of the book, which alternates between the two time periods is one which I really enjoyed in this book. I was interested in both Vera and Claire’s stories equally. It was a very touching book at times with both characters trying to deal with their personal grief after the loss of a child.

This is my first time to read a book by Sarah Jio and I will definitely read her other books..

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to check this book out. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete