Monday, June 2, 2014

The Real Life Mary Poppins by Paul Brody

by
Jun 01, 2014  

Read on June 01, 2014

Among twentieth century authors, P. L. Travers was by far the most productive and famous to hail from the British colony of Australia. After a brief and modestly successful acting career, she moved to London and pursued her own brand of journalism. She was a well-regarded drama critic and travel author, and she became friends with many influential writers and thinkers on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. Eventually, she found her greatest voice in the form of Mary Poppins, the mysterious and powerful Edwardian nanny. Thirty years after the first Poppins adventure is published, Walt Disney produced a live-action movie version, which has ingrained itself forever in the popular imagination.(

My Review:

I wanted to read this book because I saw the movie "Saving Mr. Banks." I saw that P.L. Travers was not an easy person to deal with. It took Walt Disney a long time before she would consent to the filming of "Mary Poppins" and only on her terms. I wanted to know why she was so difficult. This book was not what I expected. It briefly told me about her accomplishments but not enough info as to why she became the person she was. I was expecting more details. The book only had 70 pages so I read it in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment